Friday, February 2, 2018

Champagne Friday: When Mama Gets Angry

When I was blogging consistently in 2009 (before baby, before active duty moves, when Neal was deployed and all I had to keep me company was Meredith Grey and a bottle of Barefoot Bubbly), I began a series of posts called Champagne Friday. As the name infers, I blogged while drinking a bottle of champagne every Friday. Some of those posts made sense, others...eh...not so much. But the point was life is too short to only drink champagne on New Year's Eve and even a Friday in the middle of April is an appropriate time to use the champagne glasses from your wedding.

I'm ready to do that again. Minus the day drinking because, as it turns out, drinking anything with alcohol while your child is at school is somewhat frowned upon. Although the French and the Italians do it so it can't be all bad. Look how skinny and fashionable they are. Maybe a little breakfast pinot would convince me to put on a bra before lunch.

Anyway, we're back with Champagne Friday: The Angry Mama edition. And this does not have anything to do with me being angry or a mom (although the next time Blue forces himself to gag on dinner, I'm going to be both of those things). Nope...this is my new favorite cleaning toy. And as Mary Poppins always says, "A spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down." An Angry Mama microwave cleaner helps you not kill everyone in your family after they microwave their spaghetti without covering it up first.
I just love her because I feel like she's a direct reflection of me after I've asked Blue to get dressed, again. Anyway, you pop off her head (just that action alone is surprisingly cathartic) and fill her to the line with white vinegar. Then fill her to the next line with water. Pop her head (and hair) back on and put her in the microwave for 7 minutes. Just a normal cook setting will do. No need to melt Mama.
Now, I decided to blog about her after I had just cleaned the microwave the day before. So, please don't go away assuming this is what my microwave looks like before I clean it. It really looks more like this.
Even though this is a stock photo from HuffPost, doesn't that make you a little sad for whoever had to clean it afterwards? I mean, just throw it in the trash. Also, I'm just kidding. Our microwave has never looked like that, but it's only because Blue can't reach the buttons yet.

Anyway, Angry Mama has tiny holes in the top of her head (as we tend to do) and the vinegar/steam escapes through the top (I wish there was a Flintstone version where it escaped through her ears) and kind of loosens all the gunk that's cooked on to your microwave. When she's done, just wipe out the microwave with a paper towel (or 20) and you're finished! And regardless of what has exploded, it's just that easy every time.

Now, do you have to have an Angry Mama to get your microwave clean? Not at all. But I have to tell you, I get a certain amount of joy (and possibly cancer) from standing in front of the microwave and watching her head steam as she spins round and round.
This photo was surprisingly difficult to capture as my phone really wanted to zoom in on the grid pattern in the door.

My friend microwaves a wet sponge for 5 minutes and that pretty much does the same thing. Plus, it kills anything breeding in her sponge. And that works, too. But Angry Mama is my spoonful of sugar, which may eventually give me diabetes but is pretty fabulous right now!

I feel like I should point out that my blog is completely sponsor-less. Every museum I write about, every product I feature is simply because I want to write about it. I don't get things in the mail to try out and then blog about. I don't get free tickets to anything. Blue gets more free stuff than I do. And I would like to keep it sponsor-less. Although I'm all for building a fan base. Because when that one post got 110,000 hits in 3 days, I think I floated above my body for a little while. 



2 comments:

  1. i've wondered about Mama - glad to have the info. Milton is forever criticizing how the microwave looks... so, now two ideas for improvement. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have an Angry Mama but I use the sponge trick to clean our microwave.

    ReplyDelete

That's it, let it all out....