Thursday, December 23, 2010

The Eve of Eve

I wanted to sit down and write one more nugget of love before Christmas officially arrives. Neal is off tomorrow through Monday and I anticipate lots of kitchen time, a fair amount of couch time, and maybe just a smattering of bed time. Not much blogging time. We are under the 30-day mark and if I don't think about it, I'm perfectly content. Once I start dwelling on the events Neal will miss and the shear loneliness that always accompanies a deployment, it's a total tailspin into multiple tubs of Nutella and bourbon. But I am making you this promise...there will be blogging! Magnolias and Mimosas burst onto the scene approximately a month after Neal arrived home from Kuwait. And what I regretted most about my decision to begin blogging was that I hadn't made that decision 13 months earlier. Not for the ego-stroking or self-gratifying posts about a military wife's struggles. It was more about providing the truest glimpse into deployment and the sorrowjoygrieffrustrationdelight that comes with it. I heard a pundit say once that only 5% of the American population is really affected by the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. The other 95% is at the mall. But what if you could read the stories from the front line? Breathe in the honesty? Translate that into action for our men and women in uniform and their families? We all sleep under the protection of the flag, sometimes blissfully unaware of the men and women who are providing that protection. I can be one story. From one perspective. I promise that over the next year, I will give my version of events...not for sympathy or even empathy...just to give a viewpoint.

But for now, the gifts are all wrapped and placed under a tree that is up and decorated only because I was bitten hard on the bah-humbug butt by the Christmas spirit at The Biltmore. We have more food than our base housing fridge can hold, a true testament to the blessings we are bestowed. And a wreath holds all of the Christmas cards we have received over the past couple of weeks. More blessings. We will spend the next few days baking, cooking, laughing, lounging, and being together. I will soak up every minute and store them in the footlockers of my mind so that I can pull them out when I see a movie that I know Neal would enjoy or bake a dish that he would lick clean. Facing a year without your best friend and life's partner is a daunting task, but why squander hours away on that thought when there are so many moments to enjoy now? Tiny, joy-filled moments that make up the length of life...that is my Christmas wish for you. Thank you so much for reading this past year; I hope you will stick around for the next one. Merry Christmas from the Miller household. I will see you on the other side, a few pounds heavier, but no worse for the wear!
xoxo and Cheers!


  1. Allyson, what a wonderful post! I agree, life is made up of tiny moments, and the richest and happiest people are those who make good use of them. Have a wonderful Christmas.

  2. Enjoy your holidays together and have a very Merry Christmas my friend!

    Oh, and I'd be happy to ship you my husband for a few months if that would help.

  3. So glad to see how up you are right now. (I thought they left last week, so am glad that you have Christmas together.)

    Enjoy your weekend and the weeks to come. We will be here when you don't have your BFF to spend time with. The merriest of Christmases to you both.

  4. I can't wait to see all you have to say!!! Like I told you before Thank Neal for me and thank yourself!!! I'm so happy to have you both around in this world!!! Merry Christmas enjoy yourselves fully!! Love much!!! oxoxo

  5. Merry Christmas Allyson to you and your husband Neal! A million thanks for Neal's service and to you for keeping the home fires burning. I'll be on the other side in new year too.

  6. I hope you had a wonderful holiday, doll. It sounds like you really are reveling in your happiness right now, which is awesome! We will be here for you over the next year, but i know it's nowhere close to the same thing. You're in my thoughts!


  7. Good Merlinpeen to you and those nearest and dearest to your heart.

    I pray you all enjoy the festival of mouth pleasures.

  8. Big, sloppy hugs to you dear!!! It's going to be OK, because it just is.

    You have an award over at my blog, so hurry back!

  9. Hope you had a wonderful Christmas my friend! Love you!

  10. Hope you're Christmas was fabulous.

    And I agree with you SO much.



That's it, let it all out....