Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Try a New Food Tuesday: They Froze WHAT??

I apologize for my tardy posting of today's Try a New Food Tuesday. I, on a whim, decided to join Neal for lunch in Macon and then we, on a whim, decided to join Neal's coworker, Chief HasNoRhythm and his wife, Diva V, for lunch at Sticky Fingers. Diva V lobbied hard for my rib/pulled pork combination plate to be today's feature. But I had already been to the commissary to purchase this box of frozen goodness and they may not last a whole week until next Tuesday rolls back around.

I'm not sure if this is a deep south thing, a Georgia thing, or an Army thing...but I have never seen Diana's Bananas Banana Babies. They are frozen and chocolate-covered bananas...on a stick. And I know what you all are thinking. Even you, Kallay! Naughty girl.

I don't particularly care for bananas. It is absolutely a texture/stringy thing. And they taste like chalk in the roof of my mouth. But Neal eats one every morning sliced up on his oatmeal, so I thought this would be fun for both of us. I get a hard chocolate shell and he gets the frozen banana. (That's going to be an extra 10 minutes of Insanity...but so worth it.)

In case you had doubts, Diana of Diana's Bananas would like you to know that she has the world's best chocolate-dipped frozen treat! I think Klondike would have something to say about that....

This is what the world's best chocolate-dipped frozen treat looks like after it's been out of the box and left to fend for itself in the Georgia humidity. (Incidentally, this is also what our windows looks like every morning after the AC has run all night and what my sunglasses do as soon as I step out the door.)

This was right after I told him that we had to re-take the picture because his eyes were closed in absolute frozen banana bliss in the first. And he was not giving up his hard chocolate shell!

I have sooooo many hysterical and raunchy things I could say about the frozen banana...and sucking until, well...nevermind...but I have too many readers from the Baby Boomer Generation who read this. Not that they would get offended, they just think I'm more pure than that. So, let's maintain, shall we?

The frozen banana was OK. It's not worth the extra 10 minutes of Insanity for me. Now, if that was a chocolate-dipped frozen raspberry Shaun T. and I would have to negotiate.

18 comments:

  1. What about frozen chocolate covered bananas on a stick...WITH NUTS. Try to not make a dirty joke about that. I dare you. It can't happen.

    I have had these. In fact, there is one box inside my freezer since they were bogo awhile ago at Publix (where shopping is a pleasure..shopping for chocolate covered bananas on a stick....). they are decent. I love me some bananas, but the frozen ones really bother my teeth, so the chocolate is definitely the best part. I never saw them up north too, so it must be a southern sensation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks really really dirty. Like stupid dirty. So not worth ten minutes of Insanity ;-) (not 10 extra minutes, I mean ten minutes in general!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is the most phallic dessert I've seen since the rocket pop! Alas I will never know the deliciousness (or lack there of) of this frozen treat. Bananas pretty much make me die when I eat them. :)

    I don't know though...something about the word "babies" in the product name makes me a little uncomfortable also.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those look yummy! I should have blogged a Try a New Food Tuesday....Jarrod bought Goetta links in Cincinnati last weekend and grilled them for dinner Monday night. Let's just say I was less than impressed and I'm convinced that Jarrod would eat just about ANYTHING - especially oatmealy, meatloafy, salty mystery meat links cooked on the grill. Blech!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hahahaha, my mind was going to the same place your's was. plus a few visuals. And I'm of the baby boomer generation. I'm just cooler than some of those babies. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks SO tasty - and I mean that in a serious way not a dirty way ;) I thought about making these myself but I would much rather go this route. Hmmm I know for a fact we don't have them here in AL at my local stores I'm jealous! I love bananas and cucumbers and all stuff that looks like bad stuff apparently ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good for you...taking the road of purity and innocence. Personally, I would have taken the road that led right to the gutter. Because those things are far too penis-looking for me to let it go. However, I am a lover of bananas and chocolate so I'm sure they are also tasty little treats. I've never seen them up here, but I will be on the lookout in case they ever show up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We're really happy that you tried and seemed to enjoy Banana Babies, their taste and nutrition and their ability to generate a great deal of fun!
    Sincerely,
    Bob Carmody
    Owner, Diana's Bananas, Inc.
    PS: We're in grocery stores all over the U.S.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hmmm . . . now, I like chocolate and I really like bananas, but this is not doing it for. Fresh bananas dripping in chocolate - now there's a treat!

    ReplyDelete
  10. YUM. I'm pretty sure I would devour that thing in seconds. It's got to be kind of healthy since it's a banana, right?? :)

    And how's the insanity going anyway? I think I'm going to start mine next week. AHHH!

    ReplyDelete
  11. They sound wonderful. I will be checking my stores freezer next time I shop

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm totally with you about the whole banana thing. um sick.

    buuuut. chocolate. OKAY ILL TRY IT.

    You're doing Insanity?!?!? do tell, do tell! I can't wait to hear about it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have tried these. While they are delicious, it's also much cheaper to make them yourself. But of course, it IS hard to find little baby bananas. (You can snicker at that sentence, it's OK)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't know. It's just so phallic.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The phallic nature is cool with me. And the chocolate part seems fantastic. The part I'm stuck on is the banana. I mean, I *love* a good banana, the kind that are still sort of green... but I'm not convinced I would love a frozen one. Plus, I don't live in the south anymore so I'm not even sure these are available. (Like the Cream Filled Coffee Kakes from Tasty Kakes... sad day!)

    Living in the North is such a bummer sometimes. Enjoy your babies bananas though... it seems Neal is all over them. And for the record... the bliss picture would have been a good one to see!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I didn't realize you lived in Macon! I have a friend who moved down there from NJ--and I went there for her wedding a few years ago. It's beautiful :)

    Mmmmmm... chocolate covered bananas. So unfair I'm reading this now when my dessert consists of a nectarine. Boo.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm from GA & I have never seen these...might give them a try if I do see them. Pretty cool that the owner posted on your blog :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Dairy Queen sells chocolate-covered frozen bananas, I believe, so I've seen them most of my life--haven't seen them in stores though. They also tend to pop up at carnivals, too. But, then, it's food on a stick, so it's a given.

    ReplyDelete

That's it, let it all out....